CEP 812
As an educator, you encounter many children with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, commonly known as ADHD. Some of these students are easy to spot, some of them are not so easy. Whatever the case may be, these students have special behavioral and academic needs to succeed in the classroom. Technology, when used properly, can help achieve those needs and make students with ADHD successful.
ADHD is one of the most common child psychiatric disorders. Students with this disorder can have symptoms like hyperactivity, impulsivity, and inattention. It can be very difficult for these students to function in a general education classroom as most classrooms have students sitting for periods of time and listening quietly. This can not only affect their learning, but also distract peers as well as the teachers. Consciously or not, many teachers spend more time of students with ADHD. When researching the subject, I found an article called The impact of instructional context on classroom on-task behavior: A
matched comparison of children with ADHD and non-ADHD classmates. The article described an educational study focusing on students with ADHD and their experiences in the classroom. Although teachers often spend more time with ADHD students, the article states, "Findings suggest that despite receiving more overall teacher supervision, children with ADHD displayed lower levels of on-task behavior in settings that place high self-regulatory, information processing, and motivational demands on them." (Imeraj, 2013).
Each year, I have had one male with (diagnosed) ADHD. Their behaviors were quite similar, unable to sit in their seat, constantly talking, telling stories, going off on tangent, and unable to compete work to the best of their ability. After
reading of the low impact of increased teacher supervision, I started to
think about other ways teachers can help students. I believe incorporating technology can not only help the student learn, but foster independence as well. I found a couple of apps I would like to try in my classroom next year with ADHD students.
Due
Monsta Points
Imeraj, Lindita. (May 2013). The impact of instructional context on classroom on-task behavior: A matched comparison of children with ADHD and non-ADHD classmates. The Journal of School Psychology. Retrieved on July 27, 2013, from
I agree that having at least one student with ADHD happens every year. This last year I had 20 boys and girls out of the 190 students I taught. I agree that having one spot where homework is all congregated is essential for the students. Does Monsta point have a way to put academic tasks in or the ability to make up your own tasks if the ones you want are not there?
ReplyDeleteWe are certainly seeing a rise in the number of children diagnose with ADHD. Some would argue that it is the environment that may not be set up for kids that have these tendencies. As a former special education teacher, I think we do overdiagnose, yet there are those kids (unfortunately mostly boys) that certainly fit the mold. However, I am constantly rethinking my position on this--it is almost a chicken and egg scenario--does the traditional classroom environment bring out these behaviors or are the behaviors there and just manifested within the environment? I'm never 100% sure. I think that schools are designed to cater to a certain type of "schooly" behavior--and that girls generally exhibit that behavior more frequently. Either way--when you have squirrelly kids in your classroom, helping them learn strategies to gain independence in the school environment is a great goal. I like the tools you have shared, Lauren. Have you heard of Class Dojo? http://www.classdojo.com/ My son's teacher used this last year and it was very popular with the kids. It has a great parent interface as well. Thanks for this post!
ReplyDelete